Four Rolling the Dice

Our Family of Four is about to journey across the country in a camper Eurovan starting in January. We are leaving everything to start a new life for our family. This blog is about our decision, our preparations, and our journey.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Money, VWs and our Journey

Another day, another dollar...

Quite literally actually, as we take our home furnishings and place them in what used to be our living room to what is now an indoor on-going-garage-sale. I seem to be getting a dollar here and a dollar there as at least one person has been at my house everyday shopping, seeing what we have, asking what we are doing, then contributing to the fund. Our traveling fund.

Yesterday I made $2.50. Maybe that will be a latte in Nebraska. All moneys go into the travel fund. Every quarter. Strange that even though we are quite okay in the money department, and grateful for it, I am still careful of every quarter. Like 8 years ago, when I didn't change a diaper unless it was absolutely necessary, yet we continued to go slowly into debt. I wasn't sure how we were going to make possible my hopes to stay at home with our brand new baby. I just kept hoping that our $600 per month rent wouldn't go up and that somehow the universe would provide.
And thankfully, it did.

So we are selling and saving and planning and along comes the opportunity. This weekend we are looking at our possible new home. A 2000 Eurovan Camper. It seems to be in good shape, but we find out for sure on Friday when it goes into the shop. The owners are a wonderful family down in Olympia with 2 kids same ages as ours. They have taken their travelin' van around the country quite a few times. They say they hate to sell it, however, they have decided to sell everything and move to Spain for 6 - 12 months. It sounds so familiar.... I think to myself, these are people I would love to get to know. They are trying something new, getting a new perspective, he tells me... Oh yes, I also ask the curious questions of "Why are you doing this?"

We talk about the VW buses we used to own (he had a '72), and how the heaters never worked, and how they barely pushed 50mph on the freeway and laugh. We talk about what we are both currently planning and dreaming and he tells me, "You are just the kind of family I want to have our van."

This may sound strange to some, but as a previous VW owner, those hunks of metal become somewhat of a family pet. I hugged mine ( a sweet '68 Kombi camper) the day I bought it, and cried the day I sold it (even though I hadn't been able to use 4th gear for 3 months and couldn't afford to repair it.) I remember talking to it and encouraging it to make it up the hill "You can do it, girl! I think you can! I think you can!"

Yes, there is definitely an attachment to VW's vans and buses for some people that is kind of strange. It's like an ordinary car, probably not a very good car, and yet, it feels comfortable for people who are not necessarily ordinary. If I was going to compare myself to a car, (and yes, I am frightened by where this commentary is going) I am not a BMW (that is my husband) or the Mercedes that I currently drive, you know, not the fancy type (except when I play dress up once in a while). Not a reliable Toyota that I used to drive (reliable is in the eyes of the beholder), or any kind of powerful truck (I don't tend to power through much). I would probably describe myself as a person who likes to have a good time, not spend a lot of money while I do it, and doesn't care how long it takes to get there, as the journey is the best part. See? A VW van...

Journeys. We are all on our own journey, though sometimes we share the path with others. Sometimes people decide to live for a certain destination (you know, when I make enough money, get that job, lose that weight, then I will...) and sometimes live for the journey (what happens when I work like this, talk in this way, eat in this way...). We make some choices along the way and have perceptions of our experiences (for example: when I chose to go to bed early every night for a week, either A) I slept so much better- perception is - that is what you should do or B) I couldn't sleep through the night perception is- it is better to go to bed later).
I bring this up as there are a few voices that are questioning our choice to experience this journey and have doubts about our perception of what is right for our family. We thank the stars above for all the caring people in our lives and wish them peace and comfort in their own choices and perceptions of their lives. We hope that good energy and blessings will be sent out our way instead of fear and doubt.

We are on our journey ready to explore it, not powering through trying to reach a destination.

7 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger tomhhhh said...

I second Leslie's comment. I can enjoy living "vicariously". My heart sings when i imagine your adventure. I look forward to future posts here. I've read some wonderful books about traveling and exploring. Have you ever read "Blue Highways".

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger poetrywater said...

Thank you Leslie, for your wonderful comment. See you soon!

tomhhhh, I haven't read that book, but I will check it out. We will definitely need some good books to read along the way. All suggestions are welcome!

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish I had your courage. It's likely we'll never venture far. But what we have here is a-ok for us. We can live vicariously through you and the boys. I love you.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are oh, so right about the '68-'72 VW Bus. The slowness on the highway from the 4-cylinder Beetle engine; combined with all that glass wrapped all the way around; and the relatively huge amount of interior space made the VW Bus the ultimate working-class American Family sight-seeing machine. But don't forget that wonder of German Engineering -- The First Sliding Door. Every minivan built today is a direct descendant of the VW Bus because of that Sliding Door. Suburban Soccer Moms of the World rejoice.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Julie Leung said...

Just have to say I love the "latte in Nebraska" sentence. A great line! Are you planning to write a book from your adventure?!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger poetrywater said...

Julie,
Hmmmm, not sure... but thanks for the complement! I am glad you are enjoying it. It means a lot to me, as you are the blog queen. You began my interest in blogging, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home