Four Rolling the Dice

Our Family of Four is about to journey across the country in a camper Eurovan starting in January. We are leaving everything to start a new life for our family. This blog is about our decision, our preparations, and our journey.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Time and Space

Yes, I am up at 4 in the morning. So much to do at this point, it is hard to believe we are moving out of our house in 2 weeks and 4 days! Time is running short and our days are running long.

Time to give homage to the almighty caffeine!

This was a big weekend. We picked up the van. We drove it home from Olympia and dropped the Mercedes off at the new owner's house in Seattle. Together, as a family, we got in our new 2000 Winnebago Eurovan and took the ferry home. It felt strange. My husband and I looked at each other with dazed eyes and smiling faces while we realized that we were in our new home.
We were driving our new home to our old home.

My older son didn't like it at first and stated very clearly that he wanted to keep the old car. That ended day 2 when I popped up the top and let the boys take a few snacks and pillows up there to play. They were giggling and having a blast. He also seems to like that he has his own reading light in the back seat that he can leave on while I drive at night. This boy spends little time doing much else, than read. I am always surprised that he can read in the car, for hours. Car sickness has always prevented me from riding in the back seat, looking at a map in the front seat, let alone read a book.
All I have to say is Thank Goodness!


The van is great. I think it is still sinking in. Looking at the 2 burner propane stove, small sink, mini frig, one drawer and one cabinet and realizing it all has to fit in there. That is my kitchen. Just a small change from the 48" Sub Zero, 36" cooktop, 22 drawers, 16 cabinets and an appliance garage of my current one.

When we brought the van to the pool, where our homeschool group has swim lessons, all our friends came out to see it and a friend asked, "Does it have an oven?" My heart sank. I love to bake. "I am getting a Dutch oven," I tell her. Another friend asked, "How about a potty?" (If you are wondering, it is a well known fact that "potty" is the official name of a toilet, bathroom, or restroom of parents across America. I think it has to do with the bestseller, "Once Upon a Potty" or it could be the other
10443 other books I found at Amazon.com.) I am still in denial about not having a potty. "They will have them at the campground," I tell her.

It was fun to show it to our friends and have them inspect it. Kind of like a housewarming party. Of course, unlike our last few homes, the tour of our new one went something like this, "Here it is!"
The kids were also happy to show it off, especially my younger one, who is still convinced that we should be able to pop the top and drive. It sounds like a scientific experiment. Just another reason why 5 year olds don't drive.

So as we get sell the contents that fit our old home, and start buying the contents to fit our new home, we just keep going, trying hard not to think too much, while trying hard to sleep more, and continue to keep drinking the sweet wonderful friend of ours, caffeine.

4 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger tomhhhh said...

Hey Friend...Just me...the "live through you" guy...I'm excited for you to get going...love hearing about the new home. Reminded me of an article that I read years ago in mother earth magazine about a family that built a cabin...completely out of debt...would travel in the south in the winter...and live in the cabin in the summer...schooling their children with lot's of reading and hands on experiences.

What are your travel directions to start...if you ever travel through Salt Lake City...would love to know about it...could run down to the gas station and say hello...snap a picture...hear a story or two.

Well back to the 9-5 cubicle,paperwork, traffic....do you have room for one more guys?

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger poetrywater said...

tomhhhh,

You made me laugh. Yes, room for one more! I am not sure of our path yet, but stay tuned. More of that in December...

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you can bake great bread (and who knows what else) in a pressure cooker- maybe worth trying? New PC's much better than the old "don't they blow up"/bad rap PCs. Let me know if you want to borrow mine and give it a whirl. They could be good because they use relatively little fuel as well, good for efficiency with your supply and having a smaller energy footprint in general.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger poetrywater said...

Thanks for the tip Behan! I am going to look at them, and check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home